Not long ago, my kids and I hosted a book club party in which we transformed our home into the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Living in California, it will probably be a long time before we visit the actual Met. However, to get the art museum experience in real life, my family recently went to the Getty. Before we went, I decided to create a similar experience in our home with images from the Getty Museum.
The great thing about exposing my kids to these images before actually visiting the museum is that my kids were able to treat our trip like a scavenger hunt. As we traveled through the ACTUAL museum, they would recognize famous works of art that had been displayed in our home for the past couple weeks.
We would have had fun at the Getty either way, I’m sure, but having prior familiarity with some of the paintings and sculptures made the experience more meaningful. Even my 2 year old recognized Monet’s Sunrise as one that he had hung up on our wall at home.
The free printable below includes 12 works for art and accompanying labels. Here are examples of a few of them:
- paper for printing Visit the Getty at Home printable
- 8.5″ x 11″ picture frames (optional)
- nails, Command Strips, or Command Strip hooks (optional)
- Print Visit the Getty at Home printable.
- Cut out display labels.
- Place images in picture frames if desired.
- Hang or tape images and labels on wall where kids can see them.
Enjoy the beauty these famous works of art add to your home!