I was initially planning to cover all the major Ancient cultures this year with my son (at least Mesopotamia, Egypt, Greece, Rome, China, and the Aztecs). We’re using this history pocket workbook which I could not love more. However, I’ve now decided we’ll probably spread this over 1.5 to 2 years instead. We’re having too much fun learning about Egypt. I probably won’t go into as much depth with the other civilizations, but I had to make these Ancient Egyptian Mythology Cards covering the prominent gods and goddesses, because their belief in these mythological figures was such an important aspect of their culture.
The full set includes 16 of the most well-known and important figures from Egyptian mythology. As with all of the cards on this site, I’ve made them Montessori-style, so that kids can easily test their knowledge by matching the split cards together. Control cards are provided so that they can check their work. The gods and goddesses featured in this set include:
I’m not using all the cards presently with my 6 year old. (That would be too overwhelming, but if you know me at all, you know I like to be prepared.) Rather, we’re just using the gods and goddesses featured in Jim Weiss’s Egyptian Treasures audio cd. My kids LOVE Jim Weiss stories, especially the fairy tales. They usually color or draw while listening. However, the Egyptian cd was getting a little confusing with all the characters. I’ve used these cards to help my son keep straight Amun-Ra, Set, Osiris, Isis, Nephthys, and Horus so that he can better follow the stories.
Note that this post is part of a 4-part set on Ancient Egypt. The other posts in the set include:
- Ancient Egypt Definition Cards
- Ancient Egyptian Historical Figure Cards
- Ancient Egyptian Monument Cards
- Paper for printing Ancient Egyptian Mythology cards and corresponding control cards. (Note that the last 2 pages of each document do not need to be printed as they just contain legal information regarding sharing and image sources.)
- 9 thermal laminating pouches
Supplies & Tools:
- Paper trimmer or scissors
- Print the Ancient Egyptian Mythology cards and corresponding control cards.
- Laminate them using thermal laminating pouches (optional, could also use contact paper or not laminate them at all).
- Cut them out.
Click here for more Ancient History activities and printables for kids.